Friday, March 17, 2017

Working for MNC or Startup?

I've come across this really cool game of late by Plarix. Some of you know what it is: Gardenscapes. It has got me hooked because I really like the animation and story line of the game. Hence lil old me went to search the company up. Lo and behold! It's a Russian company that holds the second position of game publishers in Europe. Curious, I checked out some of their other games and I wasn't disappointed.

I went to their official site to check out if they were hiring and to my surprise, there were many positions. Not that I could contribute in the programming or designing field but there was this one position that caught me eye: game story writer.

I immediately applied for it not caring if they didn't understand English. The HR in Playrix may not understand English and as of today I haven't heard their reply. Even their confirmation email sent to me was in Russian, thank goodness for Google translate for me to know it was an automated mail and not my official confirmation.

Then it dawned on me why I never liked the jobs I worked previously before becoming a full time freelancer.

I hated the way MNCs worked.

From their 9 to 5 routine and their reporting structure as well as the jobscope and culture, I hated all of it. There was no such thing as flexibility, the structure is full of politics and the company doesn't care about staff welfare.

Work was a nightmare and money was the only incentive in MNCs. Personal experience speaking.

On the other hand, startups, not just Playrix, I've checked with others too and am on the way of registering my own, have really attractive work flexibility. They know how to value people and treat them right. They seek talent instead of qualifications. They give chances and have a very family like culture. Startups are usually small and the people working in it become as close as family over time.

Unlike MNCs that have deep pockets, startups often find themselves in financial difficulties. The whole team will need to sit down to make things work regardless of the methods employed. More often than not, unconventional methods are being employed. Examples are offering shares of the company to pay for a service, forgoing an office and having all staff work from homes to holding official meetings at a local cafe.

I very much enjoy the working mentality in a startup as it is refreshing. True, struggles are real and sometimes they can't pay me as well as the well established companies. However I feel like I'm worth more and can accomplish so much more as a person with a startup than an MNC.

Personal preference: I'll most likely find myself working happily with a startup. Not many startups will employ a person like me with very niche capabilities. As a boss of a future startup, I'll also find myself running into many troubles. However I think life is only worth living if you're constantly on the edge and pushing for improvement. I can live a life of poverty, just not a life of boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment