Friday, March 31, 2017

Dungeon Seeker Manga Review

Link: http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/dungeon_seeker/

Summary from Mangago:

Junpei Takeda, a high school student, is childhood friends with Noriko Tatsumiya and the bully Kido Shouta. One day, during the usual course of bullying Junpei, they were suddenly summoned to a different world by the whim of "God". Summoned Heroes with cheats, or so he thought. But it turns out Junpei's stats were even worse than an average farmer. Tricked into a deathly labyrinth by the only one he trust, he walks the journey for revenge.

Rating: M for Gore and Rape

Artists: Sakamoto 666 & Mizukiyoshi Juro


The manga starts off meek and mild with a crazy twist hat didn't bother me. Obviously the story is about an adventure in a RPG type of game where transported heroes go on adventures to become stronger. The main character Junpei is no different when it comes to his quest to become stronger.

The manga does contain many references and scenes unsuitable for young minds. Rape, cannibalism, gore and sadism are displayed in this very fucked up manga. I know I've seen many fucked up manga and this isn't as bad as some of those but I would still like to put across a word of warning.

Read at your own risk.

What I like about this manga is the display of human craziness when the situation is desperate. It dissects the elements of what humans are at their very core of desperation. The primitive nature in us and the need to survive can push us over the edge much like what happened to Noriko who chose to betray Junpei and herself to survive.

The one part I dislike about this is how the author didn't build the pace and seemed to rush it too much. True, the hero in here had some difficulties but his troubles were not long lasting enough to make me feel the impact of his horror. I mean he was transported to a world without his consent, had his friend betray him, nearly died, found some batshit abilities after having to eat rotten flesh and all but still remained sane.

He wasn't even vaguely conflicted or emotionally disturbed by it that made the whole story fall flat on that aspect. The character didn't live up to my expectation as I couldn't relate to him, he had no flaws in a sense and felt very fake.

This manga updates monthly and I'll follow it just to see how much wackier the authors can make Junpei get. I want to know exactly what will happen when he manages to get back at Noriko and Kido. Being crazy strong is only half the journey, I want to know where this will take us.

Overall I will rate this 6.5 / 10 because of the lack in character strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment