Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Graduated with a Degree but going back to study a Diploma

My hands are shaking...

Graduated with a Bachelor in Business Management this year, I'm now applying for my second Diploma in a completely different field.

I studied with Ngee Ann for a Diploma in Accountancy back in 2008 and now I'm aiming to go back to Poly and study design. Nanyang Poly is the only one that offers what I am looking for to become a copywriter. Visual Communications.

It is more detailed as compared to marketing courses and mass communication. I want to become more than just a novice writer in the market. With Job Hitman and KiwiCat Alley coming up, I have discovered my love for creativity in marketing that is a good balance of business and arts. However, the lack of capabilities on my end has discouraged me greatly and my confidence took a beating.

I haven't told my father about it. I wanted to make sure I was enrolled before telling him the news. My father had been the kind of man who was conventional and strict. Only in his later years after the recent divorce with my mother had him mellowed. That doesn't mean the old tiger lost his bite, he's just less easily angered by such things.

I had a stable job with quite a promising future with the company I was working with earlier this year. It was a taxi company and I was promoted during my three month probation from customer service to events. I had the opportunity to develop in the company given my education and capabilities but six months down the road I quit to focus full time on writing. Eventually I published Fons Vitae which didn't really sail.

Currently writing The Liberal Assassin and managing freelance jobs for the past six months had been nothing but a haze for me. My father has been bugging me non stop every month about my plans for the future urging and suggesting various types of corporate jobs for me. From Accounts, Admin to Legal and Banking he's tried them all. I simply wasn't keen on doing any of those.

What had been the deciding point that I wanted to become a copywriter was the fantastic images I saw in my mind as the creator of Job Hitman and KiwiCat Alley. Unfortunately I was unable to make them a reality. I have no troubles writing what I want but when it come to the visualisation of how my marketing campaigns would be like and the design of my website, I found it severely frustrating to not be able to do it myself.

Having to rely on my team and troubling them with even the slightest issues made me think that I should study art in detail so that I could write and design what I needed. Later I found out that copy writing and content writing were two different things.

I picked up SEO and internet marketing all on my own from Youtube and thus it makes me a content writer. However it wasn't enough for me. I wanted to apply it with captivating images to boost the marketing campaigns which I was unable to do. Researching had led me to discover about copy writing. No, that has nothing to do with copyrights.

I had thought about learning it the informal way by seeking professionals with works that I like and wrote in to some of them asking for a position of an intern but received zero replies. Then I started browsing through the other options I had. Private education was expensive and I still liked the subsidised Poly education.

Even if Accountacy had been nothing but torture for me, I had benefited from it. Not many people in the corporate line can use Excel as well as students who had studied it and done impossible projects with it. I disliked it but it proved useful. What about studying the things I liked? I'm sure the next three years in Visual Communications would feel like heaven for me. When I graduate, I have no doubts I'll be able to better contribute to my own company. Kayla will also be younger by five years with the workload off her shoulders.

Although I said I wanted to become a copywriter, my aim is to become the Creative Director of my own company just because it sounds cooler than CEO and Founder. I'm still looking for a capable person who would like to try their hand at being the CEO of my company (soon to be registered).

All in all, things are progressing really smoothly for me now and so many interesting things have happened within the last six months (it is nearing Christmas) that I think it has been the happiest six months in my life. If everything goes according to how I want my life to be aka interesting, I will be in for a very interesting next five years.

With the support of my loving PA (Kayla), engineer brother, self sacrificing idiot and 940 in my team, there is no doubt I cannot be a better person.

Now first to prepare for application to the course I want and find a job so I have pocket money.

No comments:

Post a Comment